Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

Cafe Bonaparte

I was in a very “blah” mood on Thursday. I felt trapped and needed to get away from Foggy Bottom and the bustling college lifestyle. Whenever I feel this way, I decide to detach myself from everyone (including my phone) and spend the day at a quiet café or bistro somewhere in the District to relax and get some work done. Today, I decided to head to Georgetown since I hadn’t been there in a while.  After walking around for a little bit, I couldn’t decide on a place to go as every restaurant and café was busy and had a fast-pace “on the go” type of ambiance. I then remembered this French, cozy and quaint bistro that is nestled away deep down 1522 Wisconsin Ave, NW called Café Bonaparte.

I immediately made my way up there and was seated at a delightful table beside the massive floor-to-ceiling high window overlooking several cafes and shops. The whole mood of the place was delightful – everyone seemed relaxed and looked as if they were taking the day off from work. The décor of the place has a very Parisian feel to it – warm and charming colors, small coffee tables with a luxurious yet vintage feel.


Photo from: http://citybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/bonaparte.jpg
The ceilings looked as if they were made out of aluminum and gave the entire place a subtle shine.  
The Ceiling
This place is known for their crepes. They have a wonderful selection of both sweet and savory crepes with a variety of fillings such as smoked salmon, roasted vegetables, ham, goat cheese, fruits, chocolate, etc.

I decided to have the lunch special, which consists of ½ crepe or sandwich and ½ a soup or salad ($9.99). I went with the Mirabeau crepe (sauteed shrimp, cilantro, citrus ricotta cheese) and the Roquette salad (arugula, red grapes, goat cheese, roasted hazelnuts in a lemon-olive oil emulsion). I sat there gazing out the window while leisurely eating my meal.   The crepe was drizzled with an extremely flavorful creamy, saffron sauce that I think added the perfect bang to the dish. The salad used hazelnuts, which was what intrigued me to select that option (aside from the obvious goat cheese which I can never get enough of). I am a huge fan of nuts in my salads. Usually, walnuts, almonds or pine nuts are used, never have I ever had hazelnuts! It was a scrumptious surprise.


After my satisfying meal, I just sat there, people-watched and did some reading for one of my classes. It was crucial for me to get away from everyone and everything and simply recharge my batteries. 
Note: Cafe Bonaparte does not take reservations, so make sure to be willing to wait around 15 minutes for a table! 

5 comments:

  1. I'm a savory breakfast kind of girl and this definitely sounds like a place to try. A couple weeks ago my brother asked me what I thought of the place but I'd never been (didn't really want to go just for a crepe with Nutella). But after you said salmon, count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yea they have an extensive list of savory crepes! You should definitely try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cafe Bonaparte is one of my favorites! I went here for brunch all the time over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking for a good savory crepe place to indulge lately. Crepeaway is just not cutting it. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds great. is this alone time or do you usually bring someone with you? Sounds relaxing.

    ReplyDelete