Total Pageviews

Monday, November 14, 2011

Urth Caffé

I am weirdly obsessed with stalking celebrities. In fact, I follow a bunch of famous people on Twitter hoping they plan to travel to DC soon so that I can creep on them in person. Two weeks ago I was in Los Angeles and tried my very best to pick places where my chances of encountering celebs were higher!  
One of the places I selected was Urth Caffé - a well-known celeb spot. 
The interior had a very rustic feel - wooden tables scattered around the place and a brick fireplace in the corner. The outside patio had black furniture and bamboo tiki torches dispersed throughout the area to lighten up the dark skies. The torches added a hippyish, island feel to the place reminding me of the show Survivor.  
 
There are always loads of pictures in magazines of stars holding Urth coffee cups - take a look:
Kristin Cavallari
Rachel Bilson
Miley Cyrus
Jessica Alba
Katie Holmes
Unfortunately I didn't see anyone famous but I still felt super cool to be chilling at a place where celebs go to regularly. Urth Caffe is a cozy and trendy place with four locations: West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and Downtown (where I went). They serve organic coffee, breakfast, great soups, sandwiches and salads, and a variety of vegan and gluten-free dessert options. I ordered the Heirloom Tomato & Burrata Salad ($13.95) which is a seasonal item on the menu. It was by far the most amazing salad I've ever had. I'm not the kind of girl who ever craves a salad but I have been craving this particular salad everyday for the past two weeks. It was a giant plate of fresh Burrata cheese and heirloom tomatoes that created a circular border around a giant pile of baby arugula leaves. The dressing was a red wine vinaigrette and it was garnished with basil oil and a balsamic reduction. Writing this post just made me drool a little...oh boy.
Even though I was not that thirsty, I felt obligated to try a drink that all the celebs are cray cray over - organic green tea boba ($4.75). Growing up in Singapore, boba is served everywhere! However, we call them "bubbles" instead. Boba/bubbles are basically mini tapioca pearls that taste like gummies and they are usually at the bottom of a drink. A big, fat straw is then given to you so that you can suck up the drink with the bobas without them getting stuck. I was curious to see if they could make them as well as Taiwanese people (creators of boba) because they are surprisingly difficult and time-consuming to make. To my surprise, it tasted as good as it does at home!    
Next time any of you are in LA, trust me..order the Heirloom Tomato & Burrata Salad!

2 comments:

  1. Haha I went to Urth so much in LA and never ever saw a celebrity, but my friends saw the Pitt-Jolies like twice... So unfair. One opened up in my neighborhood, where some of the hipper celebs live (it's lofty etc) and I never saw anyone there either....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that salad looks to die for! Why is LA so far away?

    ReplyDelete