Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Eschewing Meat for 7 Days

I decided to give up meat for seven days in honor of my grandfather who passed away this time last year. I thought to myself, how hard could this be? It's just one week.

I was wrong, very wrong.

Source: (http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/Lady_Gaga_Meat_Dress.jpg)
No matter how much food I stuffed my face with, I was not satiated. I even found meat replacements such as Tofurky sausages and Morningstar veggie patties. But still there was a little, actually not so little, part of my belly that was still grumbling.

I kind of creeped myself out because I never realized how the carcass of an animal could bring me so much joy. It was to the point where I had dreams of my naked body covered in meat..GaGa style!

Tomorrow is my first day back to eating meat and its going to be absolute carnage. In fact, I have already planned out exactly what I am going to eat:
Breakfast: bacon, eggs, and toast
Lunch: sushi (spicy salmon, tuna, shrimp)
Dinner: lamb kebabs

I sound crazy but I just want to taste that meat in my mouth again..yummmm I can't wait!!

4 comments:

  1. I can kinda feel your pain over here. I have been hoping/aiming/trying to become a vegetarian for about a year now (for environmental reasons) - actually, merely thinking about it because the thought of myself saying good-bye to cheeseburgers make my heart weep. Its all self-inflicted guilt, but I just can't give it up! Once I read Michael Pollen's The Omnivore's Dilemma, which is sitting in my bookcase, it will likely happen.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each his own! I have been vegetarian for four-ish years and have never missed meat for a second. I don't mean that as a criticism though - I think you have to do what is best for you.

    Also, I second Christina's book recommendation and would add that Pollan's follow-up, In Defense of Food, is another great read. I think his books are must-reads for everybody because they teach you about where your food comes from and about the ethical, environmental, economic and health consequences to the decisions we make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christina! I just borrowed that book from the library. Can't wait to read it and will definitely keep you posted on my thoughts. Alec, vegetarian for four years?? Thats amazing, keep it up! After I get around to reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I'll definitely take a look at In Defense of Food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. after two years as a vegetarian.. I lost that meat craving . getting past that .. I almost see meat eating people as people of the past. In future we well live more healthy,not have to kill animals and feed more people,

    ReplyDelete